1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What Company People Get Their First BJD From

Dec 30, 2017

1. This is a very interesting topic indeed. I'm from the old-timers side (not only in age), I was a long time lurker before I got to guts to become a DoA member (there's always been rumors, even from back in the day of the Y! Groups version of the forum). My first doll was a Volks DDI, which I intended on hybridizing with a (at the time) Lust/CP VDES head sculpt, but I still own the whole DD including the DDH01 (as an optional) head, and also my VDES sculpt which is the main head on that body. My first resin BJD was SoulDoll Paris. Back then it seemed (to me as a lurker) most people owned either Volks dolls or Luts/CP El -- so Luts was very popular even then, but they had a different sculpting team (somewhat different aesthetics). (:

2. I'm a Volks person. Kinda knew it would happen that way.....pfft.

3. This is very interesting. Thanks for posting. My first doll is from Secretdoll. I will keep her always

4. I’m in the majority of the piechart, with my first doll being a Luts KDF. I think when I was a newbie to the hobby, I felt more trust in Luts’s polished, professional online store and reputation as a large company. When you’re spending hundreds of dollars on something you’ve never bought before, from a foreign country, and it’s not from a big box retailer, it’s easy to get a little scared of being scammed or duped with a recast. There is a level of reassurance I felt ordering from Luts, because being a large, well known company, they have a long-standing reputation to uphold.

5. I love looking at this data! Very interesting too, as the first dolls I was most interested in were Fairyland dolls. My first ended up being Doll Chateau, and I've leaned in that direction since. I'd be very interested to see what this would look like with 2020 data, as I think there's been a lot of website improvements in the last few years that may have made it easier to folks to buy from certain companies!

6. *sigh* I guess I'm as always in minority - my top 3 "companies of interest" did not even make it on the list :lol: Even among black sheep I tend to be a green one :ablah:
      My first doll order was from Dollshe (yes, yes, I know how dumb of a move THAT is), but I suspect first doll that is going to actually show up is going to be from Raccoondoll :)

7. My first doll is on layaway right now and from souldoll, which I don't see listed.

8. My first two dolls came from Dollzone back in 2007/2008, I no longer own them but they were both sold to the same person!

9. Proud ResinSoul owner :D At least if we only count complete dolls, since my Iplehouse head got here first. I think with so many companies around these days, it makes sense that no company would be particularly dominant.

10. I only recently ordered my first, but she's from Luts, so I'm very happily in the largest bracket! For me it really came down to aesthetics - Luts had a lot of sculpts that hit the sweet spot between angelic otherworld-ly beauty without being too cartoonish or realistic. And they had the only sculpt I had encountered that made me stop scrolling and go "woah". When I did research on the brand itself, I read a lot of very good things about the quality and posability of their dolls, which only reinforced my initial choice.

11. My first doll came from ResinSoul. I think I need to restring him and give him a makeover, he's been in a box in my cloeset with my other dolls for years now.

12. I would also love to see a 2020 update if possible - it’s really interesting to see the data visually represented!

(For the record, my first dolls are both IOS!)

13. Very interesting!

Mine were: first: Fairyland (although back then, minifees were sold by Luts), second: Luts and third: Dollzone. Almost nailed it xD This was in 2007.

14. My first doll is from Soom, Second from dolldream, Third is from Niaofang.

15. Omg I did not expect to see such cool infographics when I opened this thread lol, but my first doll was from Dollzone! It was during a time when they were kind of having a heyday though, I'm not sure if they're still as popular

16. I'm thinking about getting my first doll from Camellia Dynasty. I just can't sto[ thinking about Sage and Thyme, the horses they have, and want one of each. They aren't on the list but another place that is I was thinking about for my first doll is DearMine. I like their sheep/goat dolls.

17. I had an idea of what type of doll I wanted, not the company I wanted to own a doll from. My goal was to purchase a male elf doll of the 1/3 scale. But for some reason a lot of the elf sculpts had vampire fangs.
      I ended up with a raccoon doll because I saw they had a sale on their male elves and the pictures looked stunning to me. Still waiting :)

18. mine was from Dolks

19. The chart is really interesting.
      My first bjd is a secondhand Soom Volo :love

20. I know this is an older chart, but I can't help but feel a bit sad because two of those companies are no longer active. RIP DoD and DreamingDoll.