1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What originally got you into BJDs? - Pt.2

Oct 21, 2017

1. it all started with an article in a magazine. i have always loved dolls since i was a little girl, but since i was a rough little girl, my mom stopped buying dolls for me. when i was in my teen, i started making doll dresses for barbie size plastic dolls, but i have no idea about the existence of bjds. until i read the article. i was so intrigued that i started researching on them & falling in love more & more. until my late 20's when i finally got a job that pays in usd, & a paypal account & the know how to buy things online. i had to learn quite a lot of things before i was actually able to buy my 1st bjd.

2. I saw somebody let their dolls cos anime character. And some members in a chatting group keep sending photos of their Mystic Kids Cavell and Napi Carol.

3. Deviantart, in middle school. There was one artist I followed who took the most gorgeous pictures of her dolls. Of course, in middle school, I was lucky if I had $10 on me at a time (and I didn't do enough research to find the cheap dolls list), so several hundred dollars seemed like an impossibility. 10 years later, after graduating from college, I found out that one of my friends I'd just graduated with had BJDs (and I never knew the whole time we were in school!). She helped me find the cheap dolls list, this forum, and before my first new doll made it home, I bought a secondhand doll from her. Now I have 3, a YoSD, a MSD, and a SD.

4. I think I kind of stumbled upon them on deviantart many years ago, then I forgot they existed completely because I didn't have any money to even save up back then. I rediscovered BJDs either through instagram or Facebook, I'm not sure.

5. I was working on a school project and looked up the definition of the word bid, ended up mistyping and discovered bjds. Now I have a wonderful little crew that I couldn’t be happier with.

6. I discovered the hobby by accident way back in high school, probably through deviantart or something. I remember finding them pretty, but it being way out of my budget at the time. Ended up forgetting about bjds completely til one of the cosplayers I follow got her first bjd a few years ago. I did a ton of research, and got my first one in 2015. I own one YOSD and one MSD (the latter which got me into the hobby in the first place years ago), and they're both wonderful!

7. I first saw some BJDs during a manga convention at Paris back in 2005. After that I found Dream of doll website and fall in love with one of their dolls. I sign up on a french forum and two years later I bought my first BJD, a doll in mind Galahad.
      That's what originally got me in this hobby !

8. The holy internet! I used to look at a lot of cosplays and artist and once saw someone cosplaying an Elfgutz doll so I checked their Instagram out. I was amazed and really loved them. I didn´t know what a bjd was back then. After a while i realised they had a link in their profile explaining what their hobby is (I suspect a lot of Elfgutz followers don´t know much about bjds..) I klicked on it because it was kinda my only source back then because I didn´t do much research. After reading it I kinda got the feeling becoming a bjd owner is impossible when you weren´t already into the hobby. I was scared a lot. I thought I couldn´t join the hobby because i wasn´t a pro. Also Elfgutz had a link to shop to where you can buy bjds, it was very complicated and confusing, not like any shop I´ve seen today. After that I just looked at some pictures of bjds, washing out my interest until a while ago... (I personally am not a fan of Elfgutz anymore... maybe because of my bad experience I had....) Now, I do not know how or when I exactly I got really into bjds... could be a few months ago atleast, but only 2 months ago I started really actively doing research on stuff. I think I saw a bjd after a while on Instagram which caught my interest and did some research. I used to just google bjd and look at the pictures, I saw a particular one which is now my grail doll! I was amazed by it... I never knew I could find out what kind of a sculpt it was. I watched a lot of YouTube videos, got engaged, looked at many companies and all that stuff. Now I am here having gained a lot of information! Yay!

9. It was kind of a process for me? I knew about BJDs for the longest time as the weeb I used to be, but I couldn't have ever afforded one before I hit my mid-twenties. So, after I became a little independent I kind of cruised back onto the curious wave and ended up getting a doll - something like "I can finally do this! I'm an adult" :sweat...but I guess I'll blame the Ineternet and SWITCH sclupts! (which I love!)

10. I started getting interested in middle school when I saw some photos on DeviantArt. When I started following foolbot and Mr. Kitty I really fell in love. I still wish I could get one for myself... Anyway, I found out a good friend of mine was also into BJDs while browsing the internet over at her house. After a little while we began collecting with blank Hujoo dolls as they were about the price range two 15 year olds could manage. Then I got my first resin doll! That's how it began.

11. I was looking for vintage vinyl dolls on Ebay, I wanted to buy a few dolls I had when I was a child.
      That's how I saw BJD dolls for the first time.
      I thought it was completely crasy to sell dolls such a price! But at the end, I got caught myself in this hobby!

12. There used to be an artist on Deviantart called Bellz who I was really interested in. They made posable art dolls that I loved, so I started looking more into the topic and ended up discovering BJD. There was also a store near me that sold Blythe dolls and posable anime dolls, which are kind of in the same sphere.

#112 Milkweed, Jun 20, 2018
      Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    13. I started collecting Monster High dolls a couple years ago, and I started watching Dollightful and other similar repainters. I think of them did a faceup for a BJD, and I was just fascinated with it's pose ability and versatility. I knew that I would need one someday!

14. Deviantart, seeing peoples characters come to life in a doll. I started with monster high dolls, collecting and customizing, then I saw some Doll Chateau bjds on some posts and was like "This is it, this is for me" Haven't looked back since :D

15. A million years ago, I went to an anime convention and there was a panel on BJDs. I just fell in love with them. Of course, I didn't know their prices at that time. I got a heart attack when I got home :D

16. I've wanted a BJD ever since I was a young teenager but they just felt so out of reach. Now I have three of them. :3c

17. A few years ago I played a game in which the main character kept BJDs. I was really fascinated by them, but always thought they were too expensive. Then my grandma bought one, and rekindled my love for them!

18. The first time I heard of a BJD was around 2000 when my local newspaper ran an article about the Volks doll company. I didn't get interested in them until a few years later when I googled them just for fun/saw one in real life/or looked for the newspaper article in a library database. I can't remember, what's your story?

19. I think I saw my first bjd in 2008 ish while sitting in my college dorm scrolling through DeviantArt. I can't even remember what sculpt or anything but i became obsessed when I realized it was a thing. Never liked dolls before but these babies hit me (read: my wallet) like a train and I've never looked back.

20. I was looking for some inspiration for my next drawing when I came upon a collection of Volks School A dolls. I don’t remember the name of the site anymore- “Venus” - something but that’s where it all started for me. I think that was in 2002-2003.

Wow your local paper did an article on Volks? What a cool town.

#120 krystina, Jul 14, 2018
      Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2018