1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What was Your first Doll? - Pt.2

Oct 3, 2016

1. My first doll was a Boy&Girl Sharon in white skin. I was about 11 or 12 years old and had stalked anything I could find online about BJDs for months, and I stumbled upon him, a bjd I could afford with all my saved money. Of course, being a child I thought he was a "she" with the name Sharon, and I didn't know much about sizes, but once he arrived I was in love.
      He didn't have a face, but he came with default acrylic eyes, fur wig, a bathrobe, and a default outfit. I was in love. I took him everywhere, made stories about him, loved him, showed him off to my friends and family. He probably went years before his first faceup, before a very sweet older girl took me under her wing in bjd things, gave him a face and gave me clothes for him and his sister doll I had at the time. Dolls came and went, but he always stayed.

Even though I left the hobby for some time, I still have him, sitting in a box now, waiting to be de-yellowed, restrung, and given a new faceup. I never could part with him because of how much he meant to me. Even now that I've returned to the hobby with different taste, I know I could never sell him, just give him the fix-up he deserves and continue loving him. :)

This is honestly the sweetest story I've ever heard! That was so thoughtful of your boyfriend to give you the option, I can only imagine how sweet picking the doll and accessories out was!

2. I'm so excited for my first bjd and it just fits into my budget. I'm super nervous though about hybriding (hybridizing?) my first doll but I really love the resinsoul Lan's head but the shoulders are super narrow and make it look disproportionate so I think I'm going for the mirodoll xm girl. Her jointed toes make me so happy.

3. Awww...thanks MaudMAryFlynn! It was really sweet doing that with him. It was so cute seeing him in the Volks store saying, "Oh...maybe we could get this for her...or how about this?..." Totally better than a piece of jewelry. :dance

4. My first doll was a Withdoll Lamb Lea. I had been tentative at first, since I was relatively new (by relatively new, I mean, I understood all the terms, knew about sizes, resin colors/matching, hybrids, etc). I had imagined I was going to buy a SD or maybe a MSD at the time, but Quinlan was the first doll to make me actually imagine myself playing with, taking pictures, bring with me, etc! So they were my first doll :love I was honestly underwhelmed with how smol they are, but no I'm totally fine with it :whee:

5. Where did you get them from?
      Johnny was my first on-topic doll (my little Hujoo came before him). He came from Angel of Dream via Alice's Collections. I've had him a year and three months now.

How much were there?
      By himself Johnny would've cost two hundred bucks plus shipping and handling...but I also ordered a ton of clothes for him at the same time. Thus the whole order ended up being a little over three hundred sixty.

Fondest memories?
      I think my favorite memory of this doll is finding out what color his eyes were. I was expecting brown or blue eyes, so when I lifted the face mask and saw gray eyes I was ecstatic. They're nice eyes too; I think they may be glass.

Another of my memories is humorously negative. Johnny wears an ununusual wig, one that makes him look a little like a young Albert Einstein...and my grandmother HATES IT!!! One night she glanced over at Johnny, then looked at me and said "I'm beggin' you, get that poor doll a new wig!" I still giggle about that one.

Tell me anything and everything you want about your very first doll!
      There isn't really much else to say; Johnny was/is my first doll and I love him to pieces. He's not alone on the shelf anymore, but he'll always be special.

6. Where did you get them from?
      I received my first on-topic BJD (bought several off-topic ABS BJDs before and some ball-jointed, but not strung, fashion dolls) from PlanetDoll (a tan PlanetDoll MSD Riz).

How much were they?
      I want to say my doll cost a bit less than $200 with free shipping.

Fondest memories?
      Fond is an interesting word. To me, fond is a calm, kind of reserved word. Edwardian ladies are "fond" of people. With BJDs, I'm more LOVE IT! LOVE IT NOW!

My favorite memories of the customization process with my first doll were therefore more exciting and somewhat nerve-wracking: dyeing my doll, learning that a body coloring technique I wanted to try wasn't going to execute well with tan resin, developing a totally different character than I intended, modding a wig and sewing my first clothes, etc.

I didn't do as much with my first doll as some of my others, so perhaps my memories of the customization process with my PlanetDoll Riz (Pip) were in that way more reserved and deserving of the term "fond" than that of my other dolls.

Fond (in its common refined and reserved sense) is also not particularly apt for my first doll's personality either.

She's going through the rough period of growing up just at the start of puberty, when all one's superiors are too bossy and controlling. (She is 11, after all. Practically an adult.) As a result, she has a nasty habit of seeking out the most inventive, vindictive, and painstaking ways of pissing people off and being deliberately argumentative.

She also likes blasting death metal music because she can tolerate louder sounds than most people, especially if she plays it in her deaf ear. She likes the vibration, and how it makes old people think she's some sort of demon child. One grandmother hates her, and the other thinks Pip's super cool and wants to learn how the "cool kids" (reeaaalllly need scare quotes there) are doing it these days.

It's an aesthetic [demon child] she spends the majority of her waking hours diligently cultivating, instead of doing her homework. It doesn't help that she doesn't really face many consequences for slacking off on her work at school. (My sister is like this--never really has to study.)

7. I'm actually in the process of waiting for my first doll as we speak! He's a Soom Crow, and I couldn't be more excited about him! Aside from him though, I've only ever had generic, off topic dolls. Actually, I've collected Transformers for most of my life before finally switching over to bjds. (That's what happens when you complete a collection I guess!) :eusa_sile

8. My 1st doll was a preloved aidoll ange ai hani, i have been very interested in bjd for many years but always think that they are too expensive to buy as i have adult commitements! But she was very affordable, comes wif clothes, wig and eyes and coa ! I fell in love and contacted seller and took her home the very same nite! Now i have 3 preloved aidolls cos i really like the way they look. :)

9. My first doll was a pre owned doll zone hid, I purchased him off of ebay, I can't remember what I paid for him, I'm thought I'd keep him forever since he was my first but I think I might end up selling him.

10. My first one was a Resinsoul Bei I got back in late 2015; ordered directly from the website and paid about 150 for her. She works well for sewing clothes for, and fits Barbie clothes (and Sparkledoll) really nicely!

11. My first doll is a hybrid of Doll Love body and Mystic Kids Evelyn head. She is young elven girl, who just finished up elven university of magic and nature. Through time she traveled a lot and she was looking for her missing parrents, and she became a battlemage. :)

The body is second handed (I´m it´s third owner) and the head is brand new, bougth from Dollsquare. :)

12. My first BJD is my Gen x Naomi from Blue Blood Doll. I was actually browsing various BJD sites, making a wishlist, and then I ended up on Blue Blood Doll and saw her. I remember thinking how lovely she looked, but I couldn't afford to get her at the time. My mom offered to buy her for me, plus a few extra things for her, and then I could pay her back later. So she came home in November 2016, and with the shoes and two wigs I also picked out she came out to around $360 or so.

I was excited when she arrived, and I remember opening the box and it took my breath away how beautiful she was in person. I ended up using the gift wig that came with her as her main wig, and I found an old outfit for a Ken doll that fit her so she wore that for a while until I made her a few things and bought a bunch of clothes for her later.

Even though I now have 4 other full dolls, a floating head, and another girl on the way, I still adore my first just as much as when she first came home.

13. My first doll is a DollZone Annie and I got her from Alice's Collections. She was about $260, including shipping and a pair of lavender "converse". I ended up purchasing a secondary body for her later on, second-hand from the marketplace. Before I had gotten the body, I would always play around with air dry clay, the kind that kids play with, very light and soft. I made her knee caps to hide the square shape when she was sitting and I even made "breast caps" for the fun of it to give her bigger boobs. Just earlier this year, I finally sent her out to get a face-up done and I love her even more! She is so beautiful, she has two wigs that fit and now has a couple different outfits. I'm taking my time and enjoying her everyday.

14. Where did you get them from?

A Resinsoul Song in light tan from the junkyspot.

How much were they?

He was about 175.

Fondest memories?

Probably discovering how to do face-ups and fleshing out my first character. Also, finding new shops and discovering Etsy. I bought so many wigs and clothes. I miss him.

I learned a lot from my first guy. I found out that I'm a character over doll person, so if a new doll comes in and I don't have a character that needs to be shelled they won't stay long. I also learned I appreciate realistic dolls more than fantasy. I do wish I kept him though because when I come across old pictures it breaks my heart, he was so cute.

15. My first doll is a Little Rebel Jelle on a Fantasy Doll body! <3 He costed around 300+? It was 2 years ago, so I don't really remember. :sweat

16. My first doll was a Doll Leaves Yoko! She was $159 before shipping (which I think was about ~$50??) and she arrived roughly three months after I initially ordered her. I absolutely love her to pieces and she is without a doubt my favourite doll, even though I'm now onto my fourth doll :love She is absolutely GORGEOUS, and I'm so excited to be able to buy a body for the Ida head I have laying around soon~

17. My first doll was a ringdoll Dracula in ws. He posed great right out of the box.

----- Added notes -----

#57 Voodoo_ socks, May 26, 2018
      Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2018
    18. Limhwa Leda is my first doll. She seems to need some new faceup, but I haven't got around to get her done.

19. Avatar pic was my first doll, a Volks MSD Mako that I got directly from the store here in Cali

20. My very first SD doll is a Night Lolita. I recently got her like 1 week ago, second hand. I know she is not exactly a BJD but I just love her still. <3 I am already making her a wig using my old cosplay wig which I don't use anymore. And I am ready to make her clothes. Right now, I am researching so I can choose and purchase for my real, authentic very first BJD. I really do hope I get one soon :D