1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Any dolls based on book characters?

Apr 20, 2018

1. None of my dolls is a specific character as I don't like them to be static, but I have often dressed and posed them in literary scenes for photographs.
      And I used my favorite books to supply names. For a long time, all my SD-size dolls were named after characters in Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mystery stories and all my MSD-sizes got their names from Marcel Proust's A la recherche du temps perdu.
      More recently I named Kurt, my Soom egg, after Kurt Wallander of Henning Mankell's mysteries.
      There was a game thread featuring photos of dolls as literary characters, but it's now locked. However, you can still browse through it.
      https://denofangels.com/threads/literary-characters-photo-theme-challenge.64866/

Heathcliff and Cathy of Wuthering Heights played by 5th Motif Venitu and Souldoll Hye

[​IMG]Ill-fated by Nadine, on Flickr

#61 phanuel, Aug 13, 2018
      Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    2. Oooh, I love your couple as Cathy and Heathcliff!!!

My Iplehouse Tedros has Heathcliff as a middle name, but he's definitely an alternate univ. Heathcliff, if anything--
      [​IMG]10-07-Tedros_2621 by aprilllee, on Flickr

3. My favorite doll is based on the title character from the book "Seal Child" by Sylvia Peck. I'm still tweaking her wig, but the default faceup on DreamingDolls Little Elva Leia was a lovely match for the book art I loved as a kid. A sweet lady even made me her cover art dress as part of a swap on another board. It's perfect! She's on a Kid Delf older style small bust body, as the DreamingDoll ones still seemed too mature and less poseable than I wanted. She's a perfect hybrid, looks exactly how I wanted, and required no blushing from me to look good. She sits on my bedroom bookshelf next to the book, and looking at her makes me very happy whenever I walk in the room. :)

[​IMG]

Doll Profile: Meara
      Book: Seal Child by Sylvia Peck

4. I have quite a few based on characters in books, Harry Potter (DOD Valentine head01), Draco Malfoy (DZ Yue), Hiccup (DT Hwan - though with him it's more of an adaption of the movie version plus a lot older), Jack Frost (DF-A Wen), and Pitch Black (DS Saint).
      Even though they are pre-existing characters I still do tweak them in places, make them more mine, but not so much so that it goes against their core personality.

5. I've only ever named one of my dolls after a book character... My DZ Benjamin Roscoe is named after Freddy Lounds from Red Dragon. But he doesn't have anything to do with the character otherwise... to be fair, he was supposed to have a more similar personality at first but his "personality" became more his own over time.

6. I've always wanted to have the March sisters from Little Women...granted, this was before Volks started actually doing them, lol!

I do have many dolls named after book characters, but they're not meant to actually be the characters.

7. When I was 13, I was obsessed with this teen vampire series called house of night, which I almost never admit to having read now that I’m a writing/psych major. I’m actually still reading any of the new books that come out, even if I acknowledge some flaws in the writing. I also have so many thoughts about their villain, and have kind of built an au version of her that I mentally dated (before I’d come to terms with my sexuality. There were some serious mental gymnastics.)

Basically, she’s this 130-ish year old vampyre who actually ends up an immortal in the service of Darkness-with-a-capital-D. I’m a sucker for a dark backstory, and she’s just constantly getting betrayed, and hurt and she’s done some bad stuff too but I just wanted to see if she could do good if someone, anyone didn’t betray her, just once. So I’m saving up for an Iplehouse Doria on probably the HID large bust body, and a custom faceup with the facial tattoos she’d have cause she’s a vampyre in this series. Maybe I’ll make her (ex)lover if I decide they’re getting back together, or maybe she’ll just hang with Lilith and Ix from my series, cause they’d all get along decently, I think.

8. I've been doing characters from my own books (Mercedes Lackey) since before I got into BJDs. I used to do them as fashion dolls and porcelains which I sent to charity auctions. I've done two BJDs as book and game characters for charity auctions as well, a Ghost Widow from the City of Heroes game, and an Epona from Anne McCaffery's books of the same name.

9. Super late to post on this, but I thought I would reply anyway! For as long as I've been lurking around BJD related things, I've always wanted to do school-aged sculpts of James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter from the Harry Potter books. I loved the idea of the marauders, but just haven't found sculpts for them, though my wallet is probably better for it! :lol:

10. Nadir, the antihero from Concrete Monsters. He's a Souldoll Lester.
      [​IMG]

11. Oh I have another one! He's not done. And really he doesn't exist yet - but I ordered the head, so we're on the way! I have a Musen doll Dual on the way to be Prof Quirrell from Harry Potter. Dual has another face on his head....so Voldemort infected Quirrell XD It's like two characters in one!

I am a huge HP fan, but never wanted dolls from the books, but I saw Dual and it had to be done.

12. @VampireAngel13
      Quirrell sounds like such a fun project. I'd love to see what you come up with if you feel like sharing!

13. EDIT: I just realized my first post was just after I ordered the head...the head came! lol
      So I got Quirrell a body and now he's mostly on his way to being a doll. Someday, when the weather is above freezing again (never. sigh) I will be able to mod him and get him a faceup, but until then he's a crooked blank monster sitting on my shelf.

Also I just finished reading the Rivers of London series and now I kind of want to make Nightingale into a doll because I liked him, and because he'd fit in really well with all my other dolls who just lounge around wearing suits all day.

#73 VampireAngel13, Jan 31, 2019
      Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    14. I have my favorite manga character in resin form. (That would be D, from Petshop of Horrors-)

I also have Jules Verne's rather infamous submarine captain... Though Dakkar is meant to be a much younger version of the character than the fellow we see sinking British ships in 20,000 Leagues. Someday I may add the more iconic version of the captain to the gang as well, but I haven't seen quite the right sculpt yet. While Dakkar works as a very stylized, almost cartoony sculpt I think I'd prefer a more realistic one for an older Nemo.

My Monkey King sort-of counts, too, I guess... He's a mash-up of my favorite things about Journey to the West's Sun Wukong and Hanuman from the Ramayana.

If video game/MMO lore characters also count (I noticed VV mentioning her Ghost Widow doll from City of Heroes up-thread. She was great. XD ), I have one of those as well. I have a kid/chibi version of Ghost Widow's... well, let's call him her "co-worker"... Scirocco. :lol:

#74 Brightfires, Jan 31, 2019
      Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    15. I'm getting ready to get a couple of FID Rex's that I'm turning into a set of Twins from J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood. Phury and Zsadist ❤️ I've been thinking about doing it for a while and I think Rex will fit then nicely. Super excited to play with scars on Z as well as a prostetic leg on Phury. Go big or go home right?

16. I'm so glad others do this!
      I recently finished the Last Herald-Mage series by Mercedes Lackey and have been saving up and searching for a pair of sculpts that would work well as the characters Vanyel and Stef.

17. Once you have them done, you should convo her (Her DoA user name is Victoria Victrix) and show them to her.
      She'd get a grin out of seeing them, I bet. ^_^

18. My mind is blown that I share a hobby with one of my favorite authors!!!!!!

19. Coming back to this thread- I’m looking into getting a supia Giyom to shell the character Cardan Greenbriar from The Cruel Prince... I told myself I wouldn’t shell a book character but I really can’t resist lol.

20. I don't have any dolls based on existing characters but I have a lot of dolls set in the same universe as existing characters if that counts? I fall in love with the worlds I read about in books and have characters that have sort of spin-off stories. Lots of relatives of the existing characters or just characters that would go to the same school or live in the same town as the characters from the books. I have LOTS of dolls of those kinds of characters as dolls, haha.