1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a favorite BJD size?

Aug 27, 2021

1. This is a good prompt, and always interesting to learn how others made this decision for themselves. This is similar to what sort of vehicle someone might prefer because everyone's preferences and circumstances are different and often change. For me having a preferred size, it's yes and no. I did in the beginning. I started with a 68cm Popodoll guy. I had a hard time getting my first BJD as the initial attempt was a horrible disaster that left me so sad and disappointed. For that reason, my very first doll was the most-planned and well thought-out of any doll I own. At the time, my son was still very young and wanted Ken dolls. I bought him the first Kens that were under the Fashionista line. They were the wonderful articulated ones before the numbered diversity themed Fashionistas. They were a lot of fun and I really enjoyed finding little outfits online to help him dress them up as he wanted to do. I was already aware of BJDs since I came across them online searching for a small doll to put in the kit dollhouse I had been building. For many years I kept 'watching' a doll on eBay, which was my Popo doll. I really liked to look at the promo photos for him, and wish I had thought to save them.

After a few years our family financial situation had improved a great deal. I had never in my entire life make such an expensive purchase for myself just for pleasure. When I did have the money, I took a lot of time to think over the decision. I did not want a small doll because I did not want it to feel like a child's toy. I wanted something that was completely different than any of the dolls I had ever owned before in childhood (I had A LOT of dolls as a child). When he came home, I was absolutely thrilled and thought he was the most beautiful doll I had ever seen in my entire life (still do) and I really love him. So, I really liked the large sized dolls.

Once he was ordered, I remembered joining this forum some years before and became an active user. Although I had looked at many dolls when I was making the decision to buy my Popodoll, I had not seen many owner photos before. I think the best photos of the dolls are the ones in the marketplace ads. It was fun to look at all of them and see so many, and especially what they looked like when they were not styled in company ads. Eventually I bought my guy a 18M Dollshe friend, then a tiny because it was so unique and adorable, then a few more.... but I only had SD and tinies for a long time. My son became older and was ready to be able to handle having his own BJD, he choose YOSD and soon after MSD too. I liked the size of those too. An MSD feels the same to me in my adult hands as a Barbie did in my child-sized hands. They were fun to hold and to see, but I resisted for a long time. I have 2 MSDs at home now, and another should arrive any day.

If it was down to just size, I can't really pick a favorite. They all have pros and cons. Bigger dolls are more solid feeling and easier to make detailed clothes. Tinies and teeny-tinies take up a very small space and can be transported easily. MSDs are in the middle, but probably the easiest to display standing. My entire collection of dolls, not being just BJDs include sizes from the tip of my small finger, to life-size and standing taller than me. I like variety, but I also like everyone to have at least one friend in their scale. I think a collector is a little more likely to enjoy all of the sizes where someone that's more of a hobbyist will like to keep their crew in the same scale. It also depends on what sort of space you have and budget. If I was lucky enough as a student to own a BJD, I would have preferred to have nothing bigger than a MSD due to frequent moves and possibly needing to conceal valuables at any given moment. I live in a childless house now, we seldom have company. There's a lot more space that is secure so the size factor is not that important anymore. If/when I become old and need to live in a nursing home, I would definitely have to pick a favorite size again.

#21 mollym, Aug 28, 2021
      Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    2. I wouldn't be surprised either, a lot of threads don't get merged right away now, when the topic is similar or exactly the same. I'm sure I've posted on at least one other, because I tend to over-explain about "proper" scaled dolls, and it's kind of déjà vu for me at this point. Lol! That wasn't the thread I was recalling though, I didn't post on that one, but I'm pretty sure I did post somewhere else, before this one popped up. (:

3. 1/3, between 55 and 67 cm (more or less, haha). That said, I never had any other size, but I tend to think 1/6 = more or less a Barbie and 1/4 = more or less a slimmer American girl and I saw both of those in stores, so I can have an idea.

There also was a very useful thread that helped me a lot when I was hesitating. Size Comparison Article Discussion | Den of Angels

That said, after having read that thread, I was convinced I wanted a 1/6 size. Easy to store! Possibly fitting clothes from other fashion dolls! Diorama and furniture possible because of the scale! Pretty much everything could be less expensive!

Buuuuut...the first sculpt I really loved and wanted was 57 cm, so I got her. And after getting her, I do think that sewing for the 1/3 size is easier and more rewarding (because you can fit in so much more details, at least for a beginner). The sculpt are so detailed too. And they have so much presence!

After getting my current 57-59 cm crew, I don't really close the door to the possibility of ever owning a 1/6 for the dollhouse factor (if I ever get enough place AND if I ever find the right doll to make me take the jump, now that the current 1/3 take quite a lot). I think that, depending on the crafts that you prefer, some sizes may be preferable.

#23 lyaam12, Aug 28, 2021
      Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    4. I'm often a little sad because it seems like the big boys aren't as popular as the rest, but I can understand that people may find them hard to handle.

My first doll is a 75cm Idealian and I dont plan on ever buying any smaller ones. It was because I was so attracted to the 75cm doll lines that I bought my first doll, actually. They're so big and impressive. Sure, he's a little heavy but I love to dress him and give him cuddles. He feels so sturdy and strong to me.^^

I have another 75cm on order but I don't think I will ever buy anything smaller.

5. Oh! Whoopsie :O
      I didnt see a thread about favorite sizes so Im sorry if this is indeed a repeat ^^" I just wanted to see what everyone liked, I wasnt expecting so many responses but I've loved reading them so far!

6. Yes, 65 is great ) Love 70+ too

7. I currently own bjds from approximately 5 cm up to 65 cm and all of them have things that I love about them to where I can't pick favorites when it comes to size even though my favorite two dolls that I gravitate to for that 'comfort'factor are roughly 14/15 cm and around 45 cm. So one of those might count as a favorite sise. *shrug*

8. {shrug} Sometimes it happens - if it really is a repeat of another thread, the mods will probably just merge the two threads.

Teddy

9. 57-65cm 1/3-scale... The classic SD-to-SD17 sizes, basically.

While I have both larger and smaller dolls in my crew, the majority of the gang are in that range, and it's the size I'm most comfortable with. Bigger dolls start to get too heavy and awkward to handle easily and smaller ones are a pain to dress and sew for.

10. Most of my dolls are 1/6 mature tinies, as I find that size easy to handle and make clothes for. But I fairly recently acquired three slim minis who I absolutely adore. They are so much more substantial than a tiny doll. I'm planning to sell a few of my tinies and get more fantasy minis. Though I think of them as my big dolls, since they're the biggest BJDs I have and the size of an SD is pretty intimidating to me. So I guess my slim MSDs are my favorite with the mature tinies a close second.

11. I like all sizes so I can't limit myself to just one scale but I've always gravitated towards 1/3 dolls, and it's where I focus my collection on the most. I love the weight to them, they just feel so sturdy and satisfying. And although their size means they eat up so much space, I do love how impressive they look. You certainly can't ignore them, lol.

Although I'm not gonna lie, I am a little envious of people who are mainly or fully 1/4 collectors, because the size is a lot more convenient, and I feel like it's much easier to find cute furniture and props as opposed to 1/3s. But something about the magic of the 1/3 scale is irresistible to me.

12. So I prefer larger dolls mostly. I won't buy smaller ones unless it's secondhand because I can't justify spending the same amount on a smaller doll that an SD would cost. I stick to secondhand mainly now anyway as I've gotten excellent deals and I love to "save" pre-owned dolls.

My first was an MSD before I truly got into collecting.
      Then once I started browsing, I found the perfect doll for an OC and she actually helped me work out finances better so I could get her. I saw a picture of her near a dog and had to have her just due to her size as she was an SD.
      I love all dolls, but I love really large dolls too. If I could I'd probably own a million really big dolls from Dollmore, but alas, definitely out of budget for now.

I'm a bit picky about what dolls I want but I'll admire most from afar, so my majority collection is SD+. I own quite a few sizes though including YOSD and tinies.

Iplehouse recently made me happy by turning their dolls into FID sizes because I love their sculpts. I plan to collect them once I nab all the largers I like. I'll finally be able to carry around certain ones.

If more companies offered both sizes of certain sculpts, I'd love it. I'd probably have my wallet screaming, but I'd adore having two sizes of the same sculpt.

13. No need to apologize, I was mostly complaining about my old age and not being able to remember if something did happen, or I just feel like it did ! Lol! That's what I mean with déjà vu feeling seeping in. As the other commenter said, mods will eventually merge threads that are too similar anyway, so there's no need to worry or apologize for it. (:

14. I love MSD sized dolls. They're so portable, but still on the more substantial side. :XD:

15. That's a difficult question. I collect both 1/4 and 1/3 sized dolls with my EID Jessica being the tallest one. And I have more 1/4 and 1/3 incoming. Currently I have no real desire to get smaller or bigger sizes.

At first I was pretty sure I prefered 1/4 dolls because they are easier to handle and generally the better posers. But then I took the plunge and bought impressively detailed clothing for my 1/3 girls :love. They look absolutely stunning.

So I think I love both sizes equally and I would like to keep collecting both. But space is becoming an issue thus I might focus more on 1/4 for practical reasons.

16. 20-39cm because they're easy to store/move around and most indie/artist dolls fall into that height range.
      I do have MDD on its way so I'll see if I like her enough to get more dolls in that size.

17. I had to try and experience owning at least 1 of each sizes before deciding.

Honestly, I like 60cm and below. 62cm is also acceptable for me. But anything bigger than that, I cannot handle because they are too bulky, heavy, and they take up too much space in my house.

This is also reason why I sold my customized Alastor BJD (70cm) because I can't handle the size

18. Large Dolls are not easy to carry. So 1/6 MSD is a good choice

19. 1/6 or smaller. I only have childlike dolls in my collection, bjd and ot, a bunch of orphans, lol!

20. I've had at least one of each size over the years and I think ultimately it's between 1/4 and 1/6. I like having them stand next to me at my desk and anything larger makes me worry that they're going to fall but anything smaller and they typically don't pose how I'd like.