General FAQs about Den of Angels
Banned dolls may not be shown or mentioned on Den of Angels at all.
Additionally, user names cannot have non-English or non-English-keyboard (including ASCII) characters.
If you were a member previously, please include as much information as you remember about your DoA account, or contact us via email at email@example.com. We will let you know if your old account is still in our database.
All applications are manually reviewed and activated by a moderator, so finalization could take hours or a couple of days if the number of applications is high. We appreciate your patience! You will not be able to see many sections of the forum, be able to edit your profile, or be able to post until your account has been activated. Activation will generate a Welcome email containing useful links and information for new members.
If more than one account accesses Den of Angels from your IP, we recommend that you post in the Ask the Moderators to let us know that you are separate people.
For the same reason, we do not allow name changes. We suggest that you choose a username that is not time or trend based. It might be embarrassing to you two years down the road to have "JustinBieber4ever" as your username.
Specifically, we do not allow name changes based on disliking or outgrowing your username, wanting a consistent username across multiple sites, or changing your name legally in real life. If you want people to call you something else, we recommend updating the user title under your avatar to your preferred name.
A suspension lasts for a set term, with a maximum of six months.
A ban lasts indefinitely and is usually permanent.
Den of Angels bans and suspensions
Members may receive a ban or suspension for:
- flaming or flamebaiting
- harassing members via conversations
- marketplace dishonesty
- repeatedly breaking the rules
- posting blatantly inappropriate content
- sharing an account or creating multiple accounts
If you are suspended or banned, you may send an appeal to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are caught sneaking back onto the forum, your new account will be banned also.
We do not list who has been banned or for what reasons. In cases of dishonesty, we recommend checking Problem Transactions and keeping up-to-date with warnings of known scammers.
Marketplace bans and suspensions
Members may receive a marketplace ban or suspension for:
- problematic Marketplace transactions
- breaking Marketplace rules
- buying or selling outside the Marketplace
For problematic Marketplace transactions, a Marketplace ban may be lifted after all outstanding transactions are resolved. However, in most cases, the ban will be permanent. In very serious cases, a Marketplace ban will turn into a site-wide ban.
What happens if I receive a Marketplace ban or suspension?
When you receive a Marketplace ban or suspension, the shopping areas of the Marketplace will be invisible to you. Your sales and WTB threads are removed; your in-progress splits or group orders may stay, at the mods’ discretion.
A Marketplace ban or suspension means that you may not:
- buy or sell items anywhere on Den of Angels
- commission another member or accept commissions
- share or create an account to get around the ban/suspension
If you receive a Marketplace ban or suspension, it’s OK to:
- participate anywhere on the forum except the Marketplace
- leave feedback for previous transactions
- complete and resolve any current transactions
- ask a moderator to send info from your split or group order thread
Once the time is up, post in Ask the Moderators to have your suspension lifted.
Some common questions
- Where should I post to ask what sculpt I should choose for my original character?
Threads about choosing a doll go in Visual Concepts.
- Where can I ask for feedback about a particular company?
We have a whole area for company reviews! Please do a quick search to see if the company you're looking for has a feedback thread.
- I want to see pictures of a particular sculpt.
Check out the BJD database to see how other members have customized their dolls. If you'd like to see more, or you'd like to see a particular combination of dolls or accessories, do a search in Photo Reference. If your request isn't there, make a new thread to ask.
- I want to buy or sell a doll.
If you have met the marketplace access requirements, you can buy and sell dolls in our extensive Marketplace. If you have not yet met these requirements, you may not solicit or engage in any transactions anywhere on Den of Angels. Advertising or soliciting sales outside of the Marketplace may lead to disciplinary action.
- I'm sculpting a doll and I want to share my progress.
We do not have a place for original sculpts to be shown. However, we recommend The Joint as a BJD-sculpting resource.
First, there are certain areas of the forum where posts do not count toward your total post count (i.e. Games). No matter how much you post there, your post count will not increase.
Next, there are areas that are routinely pruned. For example, the Marketplace is frequently purged of sold items, threads are removed from the galleries occasionally when the image links no longer work, and threads are deleted from Doll Arrivals! after three months of inactivity.
If you already have marketplace access, dipping below the required number of posts will not affect your access level. The only way that you can lose access is if an administrator changes it manually.
To find other local doll owners, check Meetups to see if there are any meetups happening in your area. This section is only visible to registered users.
Another great way to meet people is to simply comment on their gallery posts and respond in conversation. Contact someone you'd like to get to know better!
- You posted chat in a non-chat area. The News forum and BJD Databases are information only, rather than chat-based. Discussion of doll events goes in Conventions and Events, and discussion of new releases belongs in the appropriate size-specific discussion area.The BJD Databases are for posting pictures and profiles of your dolls; all profiles must contain pictures.
- Your post was off-topic. Posts that have nothing to do with ball-jointed dolls will be deleted.
- Your post was inappropriate. Flaming and flamebaiting are not tolerated. Additionally, we do not allow posting of adult material.
If your post is deleted, please do not assume that you are "in trouble." If there is a problem, you will be notified by a moderator.
If this does not answer your question, or if you have a specific instance of a post removal that you have questions about, please post in Ask the Moderators.
- questions about rules and forum use
- account and registration problems
- forum access issues
- problems with other members (harassment, Marketplace issues)
- moving/merging/deleting threads and posts
- removing polls from threads
Questions posted in Ask the Moderators can only be read by you and Den of Angels staff. A moderator will answer your question as soon as possible.
Moderators can be identified by the banner displayed beneath their names.
Active Moderators (also known as Seraphim and Cherubim) can help in Ask the Moderators.
Inactive Moderators help with daily maintenance, participate in staff discussions, and help implement rule changes and forum design. However, they do not help with member problems or actively moderate discussion threads. Please do not contact inactive moderators about issues that do not relate personally to them.
In general, it is best to post in the Ask the Moderators subforum for quicker assistance.
We do have profanity filters in place, but they are fairly limited and mostly limited to racial slurs and the strongest of the 4-letter words. Though we do not block many words, we ask that members use maturity and taste in their use of profanity.
We do not allow highly sexualized images or excessive gore. Certain sensitive topics (i.e. rape, incest, pedophilia, torture) are not allowed in images or textual content, including comments made to the original post. Please keep dark backstories vague.
There is no concrete list of things that are allowed or disallowed; please use your common sense. If you feel that something you're considering posting may be a bit too much, feel free to post in the Ask the Moderators subforum to get approval. Offensive or inappropriate posts/threads that are reported by other members may be removed; any post/thread may be removed by a moderator at any time, for any reason, at their discretion.