Frequently Asked Questions
Page 1 of 5
After you have been a member for 60 days and have made 40 posts, you can fill out the application form to apply for Marketplace access. If you have any questions about this, please ask the moderators.
Click Choose File to upload your custom avatar and Okay to save it.
You can delete your avatar by selecting the 'delete custom avatar?' option and clicking ok.
You can upload jpg, jpeg, png or gif files. The recommended size is 200x200 pixels. Please remember that animated avatars are not allowed.
You can also update your avatar from your Personal Details page.
If you were a member previously, please include as much information as you remember about your DoA account, or contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will let you know if your old account is still in our database.
All applications are read by a moderator, so approval could take up to 48 hours. We appreciate your patience!
Once you've uploaded your photos, copy the URL of your image. The URL should end in jpg, gif or png. Some sites, like Etsy and Facebook, may have image URLS that will not work on DoA.
In the editing box on DoA, click the image icon:
Paste in your image URL and click Insert.
If more than one account accesses Den of Angels from your IP, we recommend that you post in the Ask the Moderators to let us know that you are separate people.
For the same reason, we do not allow name changes. We suggest that you choose a username that is not time or trend based. It might be embarrassing to you two years down the road to have "JustinBieber4ever" as your username.
Specifically, we do not allow name changes based on disliking or outgrowing your username, wanting a consistent username across multiple sites, or changing your name legally in real life. If you want people to call you something else, we recommend updating the user title under your avatar to your preferred name.
• Is the image available on your image host? Check to make sure that your image host is available and that they have not blocked or removed your image.
• Is the image's privacy setting set to public? Some image hosts (like Flickr) allow you to set images to be private. That means they won't show on DoA, even if you can see them when you log into your image hosting account.
• Does the URL end in jpg, gif or png? Only these file types are supported. You will need to link to the individual photo, not the page that it displays on your image host. Sites like Facebook or Etsy may have image links that end in a number – these will not work on DoA.
• Is your image file larger than 2mb? Den of Angels can only display images that are 2mb or smaller. If your image is too big, you will need to resize it in your image editing software.
• Is your bbcode correct? Click the small wrench icon at the top right of the editing box:
This will show the code for your post. You image code should be one URL wrapped in a beginning and ending IMG tag:
This is incorrect and will not work:
[IMG]http://[URL="https://flic.kr/a/ABC123"][IMG]https://farm9.staticflickr.com/5555/yourimage.jpg[/IMG][/URL]Image by you, on Flickr[/IMG]
A suspension lasts for a set term, with a maximum of six months.
A ban lasts indefinitely and is usually permanent.
Den of Angels bans and suspensions
Members may receive a ban or suspension for:
- flaming or flamebaiting
- harassing members via conversations
- marketplace dishonesty
- repeatedly breaking the rules
- posting blatantly inappropriate content
- sharing an account or creating multiple accounts
• engage in recasting
• procure legitimate dolls for recasting
• provide ordering services for recasters
• reference owning recast dolls in photos or in writing
If you are suspended or banned, you may send an appeal to email@example.com.
If you are caught sneaking back onto the forum, your new account will be banned also.
For legal reasons, we are not able to list who has been banned or for what reasons. In cases of dishonesty, we recommend checking Problem Transactions and keeping up-to-date with warnings of known scammers.
Marketplace bans and suspensions
Members may receive a marketplace ban or suspension for:
- problematic Marketplace transactions
- breaking Marketplace rules
- buying or selling outside the Marketplace
For problematic Marketplace transactions, a Marketplace ban may be lifted after all outstanding transactions are resolved. However, in most cases, the ban will be permanent. In very serious cases, a Marketplace ban will turn into a site-wide ban.
What happens if I receive a Marketplace ban or suspension?
When you receive a Marketplace ban or suspension, the shopping areas of the Marketplace will be invisible to you. Your sales and WTB threads are removed; your in-progress splits or group orders may stay, at the mods’ discretion.
A Marketplace ban or suspension means that you may not:
- buy or sell items anywhere on Den of Angels
- commission another member or accept commissions
- share or create an account to get around the ban/suspension
If you receive a Marketplace ban or suspension, it’s OK to:
- participate anywhere on the forum except the Marketplace
- leave feedback for previous transactions
- complete and resolve any current transactions
- ask a moderator to send info from your split or group order thread
Once the time is up, post in Ask the Moderators to have your suspension lifted.
You can leave multiple conversations at once by selecting them in your inbox and choosing Leave Conversations from the popup menu.
Leaving a conversation will remove it from your inbox, but other participants will still be able to view the conversation. You can choose whether to receive further messages:
As it says:
Two-step verification increases the security of your account by requiring you to provide an additional code to complete the login process. If your password is ever compromised, this verification will help prevent unauthorized access to your account.
Here's some general information about two-factor authentication (2FA).
If you usually access DoA from a private computer or your own mobile device, this is a good way to make your account more secure. Someone who logs in from a different computer/device will be prompted for a code, even if they know your password. You can set it so that a computer/device is trusted for 30 days, at which point you will need to generate a new code.
This is not a good choice if you use a shared or public computer to access DoA.
If you'd like to enable two-step verification, you can have the code sent to your phone if you install an app such as Authy or Google Authenticator. This is the more secure option, but if you prefer, you can have the code sent to your registered email address – check your spam folder if you don't see it. You will have 15 minutes to enter the code on DoA.
What to do if you need to access your account from an untrusted computer/device
When you verify your account you will get a list of backup codes. At some point, you may need to access your DoA account from an untrusted device that you don't want to verify. You can use a backup code to access DoA. You may want to write the codes on paper and put them somewhere safe. Each code can only be used once.
If you cannot access your DoA account for any reason, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Choose a category and click Continue...
3. Fill out the fields for the title and tutorial. Optionally, you can enter a brief summary of your tutorial in the Tutorial Snippet Preview field. Some categories also have optional ticky boxes for information like size or construction.
4. Click the Upload Image button to add a thumbnail for your tutorial. You can upload an image from your computer or mobile device.
5. Choose when to publish your tutorial. You can save your tutorial as a draft to edit later, or you can publish it now, or you can schedule it for a future date.
6. Click Save Changes to finish the tutorial.
Need to add more pages? Learn how!
There are a few differences between using the Dolls Marketplace and using other Marketplace areas. If you cannot find an answer to your question below, please post your question in Ask the Moderators.
How many items can I sell in one thread?
You may sell one item in each thread.
How many threads can I make?
There is no limit.
Can I edit the thread by going back to the form?
No, the form can only be used when you create the thread.
I'm not sure which year my doll was made, what should I write?
If you are not sure what year your doll was produced, you may leave this field blank and the form will still work. You can also write "unknown."
I use a different currency than USD. What can I do?
USD is the default currency used because the majority of sellers use this. You may edit the thread to use your country's currency, but you must make it you make it clear that the price is in a currency other than USD.
How do I edit my thread?
To edit the title or prefix of your thread, click Edit Thread in the Thread Tools menu. You can also click the Edit button at the bottom of the post to edit its content.
I don't like the format the form makes. Can I change it?
You can add more information and extra pictures. You cannot remove information.
If you remove information, your thread may be deleted.
If you see a thread that has important information removed, please report it by clicking the "Report" button at the bottom of the post. (This is a triangle with an ! in the middle.)
I don't have pictures of my item. Can I post a sale thread?
No, you must have at least one clear image of your item in its current condition. It must be a current picture of your item, not a company photo. If you are selling a full doll, you must include at least one full body shot of the complete nude doll.
Some common questions
- Where should I post to ask what sculpt I should choose for my original character?
Threads about choosing a doll go in Visual Concepts.
- Where can I ask for feedback about a particular company?
We have a whole area for company reviews! Please do a quick search to see if the company you're looking for has a feedback thread.
- I want to see pictures of a particular sculpt.
Check out the BJD database to see how other members have customized their dolls. If you'd like to see more, or you'd like to see a particular combination of dolls or accessories, do a search in Photo Reference. If your request isn't there, make a new thread to ask.
- I want to buy or sell a doll.
If you have met the marketplace access requirements, you can buy and sell dolls in our extensive Marketplace. If you have not yet met these requirements, you may not solicit or engage in any transactions anywhere on Den of Angels. Advertising or soliciting sales outside of the Marketplace may lead to disciplinary action.
- I'm sculpting a doll and I want to share my progress.
We do not have a place for original sculpts to be shown. However, we recommend The Joint as a BJD-sculpting resource.
Page 1 of 5